Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Anacostia River Kayaking

Everyone around here knows the Anacostia River is disgusting. I have joked about the bugs I may get in my brain after kayaking the Potomac, but the Anacostia is much worse. So much worse that I have previously refused to participate in anything near the water. But when our original plan fell through, this was the best option. So I just promised myself not to tip over. And I was successful.

Yep, it's now officially confirmed, the Anacostia is polluted and gross. Trash everywhere. Some little side streams smell. But if you don't look at the water, it can be pretty lovely.

It was a girl's day on the river since the boy was out of town. Leah and I explored the plant life, cleaned up some trash, and avoided weird fishermen. We found a massive group of ducks/geese next to the power plant. Saw more turtles then ever before. And we had a nice beer in a cove and talked about boys, diets, and general adventuring. It was awesome. 

















1 comment:

VV said...

What a bummer about the pollution, but it does look lovely.