Sunday, March 24, 2013

St. Patrick's Day Hike

It was a cold, rainy St. Patrick's Day here, much like in Ireland. The rains weren't awful but the clouds were around all day. But still, I went for a hike. It was just a short trip, about 4 miles total, and we were on paved ground most of the time. This was actually a trail in Patapsco that I'd been on before, a few summers ago. John and I had been looking for a rock to climb. Instead we spent most of the day sunbathing on a rock out in the river. And we got attacked my stinging nestles. Not quite the same trip this time around.

Not far off the trail are the ruins of an old Catholic church. Behind it was a cemetery. I felt it was very fitting for St. Patricks Day. Cold + clouds + Ruins = Ireland. Well, it could have been a little greener. It was sad to see so many baby graves though. I also kind of wanted to just sit inside the church and talk to the spirits. No one else really got that. I didn't myself really. Just felt like the right thing to do. There were also ruins of the old mill. Nothing says Patapsco like mills. They're everywhere.

Further down the road, near the dam, the trail suddenly turned into a beach. I didn't remember this part of the hike! I guess the tide was high at some point and left a beach full of sand behind. It was great. If only it had been warmer...

Oh yeah, and I climbed in a hole in the ruins. Well mostly. I would have fit but I got scared a snake was going to pop out of somewhere. Then I'd hit my head on said ruins and it'd just be bad. So I mostly crawled in.













1 comment:

Susan DeBruin said...

What a magical hike! A perfect St. Patty's Day.