So something that's been going on in my life recently is the Paleo diet. But not really. See, I don't NEED to diet so I will never be disciplined enough to follow something so strict. But I am trying to eat better in a few ways. Anything that's going to give me more useful energy for hiking and climbing is a good idea in my book. So really, I'm taking a few ideas from Paleo and just eating better (most days). Like, sorry Paleo, I am not giving up dairy. I love cheese and yogurt. And ice cream (but I've been better about limiting this). I will keep getting my special honey goat cheese and throw yogurt around like I just don't care. But I have switched from cows milk to almond milk. Get the dark chocolate almond milk, it's amazing. I had two glasses for breakfast this morning. I'm also cutting out a lot of the carbs Paleo hates like breads, potatoes, wheat in general. Not totally anal about this, but cutting them down. And upping the fruits and veggies.
A big thing I want to do but find challenging is cutting sugars. I won't go sugarless, again, I don't see the need to change my life that drastically. I'm pretty healthy. But it's good practice. I love candy and chocolate and ice cream...so cutting in other areas so I can enjoy treats can only help me. So I ut out sugar in my tea and use only honey now. Not quite sure what to do with coffee as honey doesn't taste as good there. I guess lucky for me I drink more tea than coffee. And really, now the point of this post...trying some Paleo recipes to cut down sugar.
I made these Sweet Potato Chai Muffins thanks to PaleOMG (the woman's a genius!). So yummy! I ate them and a smoothie for breakfast every day last week and felt great. I used agave instead of coconut necter (couldn't find it at the store). I'm sure honey would work well too. I would add more banana and pecans next time, but these were still very tasty. Oh and fill the muffins nearly full since they don't really rise. I had itty bitty muffins!
More experiments to come.
2 comments:
Oh man, I recently cut out cheese from my diet. Talk about hard! I refuse to get rid of yogurt too though.
I don't do milk or cream, and I can't have sugar, so I use the unsweetened vanilla almond breeze in my coffee. Maybe give it a try instead of honey?
I can't do cheese. I just can't. I've cut a ton of the gross processed cheese out, but really, I love goat cheese and feta. I'll never eat a salad without cheese. lol.
Good idea with the coffee. I don't drink it too often as I can only handle so much caffeine, but I need something on hand for those rare days I need it.
Post a Comment