Yesterday was John's sister's birthday so we were down south celebrating. We had crabs for dinner. This is only the 2nd time I've had crabs and boy is it an experience. The first time, John's dad had to pick a bunch for me so I didn't starve. I am proud to say I did much better this time. I filled my belly all on my own!
Anyway, on our way home we hit this crazy thunderstorm. I'm starting to believe I'm living over a portal to hell. These storms have been insane. Now, I usually love a good thunderstorm. It is, after all, my favorite weather pattern. But not when my life is at stake.
I'm really glad John was driving cause it was just insane. It was nearly impossible to see. When the lightning struck, it was so bright you were temporarily blinded. People everywhere were driving at a snails pace. People were driving with their blinkers on so you couldn't tell if they were trying to change lanes, pull over, or if they just sucked.
We somehow managed to make it home alive. Of course, the power was out here.
Now, I actually have this fantasy about being in a power outage. In the winter, preferably, because you can light a fire and still stay warm. Fall or spring would also be nice. But summer, really never, except for the romantic summer storm factor. Anyway, this power outage fantasy thing is always in the back of my mind. Who wouldn't love to be trapped in a cabin with no power, but plenty of wood and candles for warmth. And a romantic partner. Yeah.
And back home I've been without power for a week, both in the winter and the summer. You would think those experiences would have gotten rid of this fantasy. But no, I'm still waiting for it to come true. That didn't happen.
It was insanely hot in the house. John and I ate ice cream and did Kokology for a bit, but it was just too awful. So we set up the air mattress downstairs and just went to bed early. We had the back screen door open, but it was still awful. And even when it did get cool in the wee hours of the morning, it was bad. Because we had this horrible feeling that we were actually covered in slime, from it being so humid. And though we had some breeze, it was a breeze that left the slime and just allowed us to be cool enough to think for 5 minutes.
The power's back now, which I am thankful for. I never have much luck getting my electricity back in a timely manner. Maybe it's just my house in STL. (seriously, I've gone a week before) So our food is fine. And we didn't have to go somewhere today to escape the heat.
I'm still waiting for that perfect situation though. My fantasy lives on. It's just a very particular fantasy, so all the stars must be aligned.
1 comment:
That sounds like a lovely fantasy. For years I had this fantasy of owning this little house in the middle of this huge field in the middle of nowhere. And the stars were so beautiful. But that'll never happen. I don't even know if such a place really exists. At least yours has potential.
We had lightning here, but no rain. It was very cool. I was driving last night around 9:00, on my way to Mike's birthday party, and it was so cool.
Post a Comment